Our job training program helps teens and young adults gain a strong work ethic. Through the program, they develop lifelong habits that equip them for their future. Trainees are from low-income families in the five communities surrounding the Summerhill area, and are chosen on the basis of interest, desire, and demonstrated cooperation.
SCM accepts 10 trainees into the program each year. Training sessions occur 2-3 times weekly to work through a character study. During these sessions trainees learn about:
- Good work habits
- Leadership skills
- Time management
- Money & savings
- Solid workplace values
- And more!
In the program, we also address drug, gang, and alcohol issues. We teach the benefits of money management and help trainees open a bank account with the help of SCM staff during the program. Trainees receive on-the-job training (OJT) in a variety of capacities. Our OJT includes, but is not limited to:
- Working as a Junior camp counselor
- Working as a support staff member
- Working as on administrative tasks
- Working as an art program teaching assistant
- Leading neighborhood reinvestment projects
- Age 15 - 18 years old
- Must live in Summerhill or surrounding neighborhood
Varies. Trainee work hours change, depending on the time of year:
- During school year: 5-10 hours per week
- During summer: 20-25 hours per week
Varies, depending on required activities. Transportation will be provided for any activities away from the ministry building.
For more information about this program, send us a message!
Other ways to get involved
You can sponsor a child, partner with us, or donate to one of our programs.